There is a growing body of evidence showing that yoga, as a complimentary therapy to conventional treatments, can be of help to those affected by cancer. Yoga and mindfulness can contribute to reducing anxiety and improving the quality of life with and beyond cancer and their carers.
All cancer patients can benefit from regular yoga classes, including people experiencing treatment-related symptoms, for example, post-surgical pain with a limited range of motion, sleep issues, fatigue, and digestive problems.
Yoga can also be beneficial for those feeling isolated and emotionally affected by their cancer diagnosis, but who do not feel comfortable going to a support group.
Other benefits of specialist yoga and mindfulness include:
- [ ] Decreased stress and pain and increased well-being
- [ ] Improved quality and quantity of sleep
- [ ] Decreased fatigue, depression, cognitive impairment and sleep disturbance
- [ ] Decreased nausea
- [ ] Restored strength and range of motion, improved lymphatic flow
- [ ] Enhanced energy, digestion, joint health, circulation, respiration and endocrine function
- [ ] Soothed anxiety and emotional support
- [ ] Increased sense of groundedness
- [ ] Integration of mind, body and soul
Not all yoga classes are suitable for people living with cancer. Nicky works in partnership with The Breast Clinic at the Cromwell Hospital to ensure an integrated approach, so that every individual can feel safe in the knowledge their consultant has shared the appropriate medical history with their therapeutic yoga teacher. We work together to support you emotionally, physically, mentally and spiritually on your journey to heal.
Perhaps you know someone who is supporting someone in their family, or who is affected by cancer themselves. Maybe they have finished their treatment but wish to incorporate some yoga for wellbeing in their life. You don't have to be at The Breast Clinic, everyone is welcome. I recommend calling me for a chat, so that we can discuss any concerns you may have. We're in this healing journey together.